Hospital Mural Dedication
On July 18, 2005, Ray Down, Frank Signorelli, and muralist David Blodgett cut the red ribbon to dedicate Lompoc Hospital's new mural. Speaking at this event were Supervisor Joni Gray, Lompoc Mayor Dick DeWees, and Lompoc Valley Medical Center Administrator Jim Raggio. The Indiana artist, David Blodgett, mentioned that he was surprised to find Lompoc to be such a haven for murals, and expressed delight at viewing the work of his peers around town.
The 120 - foot mural depicting the history of medicine in the Lompoc Valley dates back some 8,000 years when the Chumash Indians first occupied the portion of the West Coast that later would become California. The practice of medicine made major advances when Lompoc's first mission containing infirmaries was constructed in 1787 at what is now Locust Ave. and F St.
Lompoc's first hospital was named "Buena Vista Sanitarium". It was built in 1908 at the NW corner of Maple Ave. & K St. Ms. Kelliher, MD, was its superintendant. Susan Henning Van Clief opened her maternity home in 1914 at the corner of North 3rd St. and Walnut Ave. Nellie H. Sperber added an operating room to her home at 131 South F. St. It was the Sperber Sanitarium until the Lompoc Hospital opened in 1943.
This mural contains portraits of individuals who played and are playing major roles in the development and operation of Lompoc's medical community.
This mural, one of the longest in Lompoc, was built with a mind to have it transplanted to the new hospital facilities.