Director of Perioperative Services
- This position reports to the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Responsible for nursing care of patients in the Surgical Services Department.
- Coordinates activities that support all aspects of patient care in that department.
- Works with other directors and staff to develop a fiscally sound budget that meets patient needs, staffing criteria and the goals of the District.
- Works with other directors and all hospital departments and staff to assure coordinated approaches to quality patient care.
- Demonstrates quality and effectiveness in work habits and clinical practice.
- Remains flexible to changing systems.
- Treats patients, families, visitors, peers and physicians with consideration and respect.
- Works well under stress or with tight deadlines.
- Communicates concerns appropriately using the established chain of command. District Responsibility
- Supports the District Mission, Vision and Values Statements.
- Demonstrate Respect, Professionalism and Courtesy to all patients, visitors, other providers and coworkers, as delineated in the LVMC “Commitment to Care”.
- Constantly use C-I-CARE principles when communicating with others.
- Maintains all principles of confidentiality according to District policy and as required by State and Federal agencies.
- Follows guidelines and practices identified in the Employee Handbook.
- Is a leader in continuous quality improvement activities within the Surgical Services Department and the District.
- Participates in the development of skills criteria annually and as needed.
- Complies with annual PPD testing.
- Maintains responsibility for own professional development. Position Duties/Responsibilities:
- Is fluent in Standards of Practice for Surgical Services Nursing and assures that they are followed.
- Is knowledgeable of JCAHO standards, Title 22, regulations and any other federal or state guidelines that impact patient care in the Surgical Services Department and disperses that information to staff appropriately.
- Monitors nursing practice to assure all guidelines are met.
- Works with Human Resources to develop marketing plans to attract nursing staff to the department.
- Provides support and guidance for staff and is responsible for sharing information appropriately.
- Monitors orientation of staff in the Surgical Services Department to assure adequate training and support are provided.
- Demonstrates the knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to monitor care to assure that it is appropriate to the age of the patients served.
- Demonstrates the ability to function as a team member.
- Conducts department meetings and disperses information appropriately.
- The ability to perform all aspects of RN’s job duties in Surgical Services Department, which includes standing or walking for prolong periods of time, bending, gripping, grasping, stooping, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
- The ability to keyboard and use word processing programs.
- Maintains nursing license following the Scope of Practice for Registered Nursing and any certifications required for Surgical Services Department.
- Demonstrates the ability to have positive personal interactions with staff, patients, visitors and physicians.
- Accepts appropriate supervision.
Education: Current California license as an RN. Bachelor degree in nursing required, Masters in Nursing or health related field preferred.
Experience: At least 3 years clinical peri-operative experience with demonstrated leadership abilities.
Excellent clinical skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Computer skills required. Exhibits the ability to organize work assignments and follow through with accuracy. Exercises good judgment, demonstrates initiative, emotional stability, tact and poise.
- Involves frequent contact and interactions with patients, visitors, physicians and/or staff.
- Involves a Class V risk of exposure to blood and body fluids.
- Requires occasional medium lifting in conjunction with at least one other person.
- Frequently requires medium lifting.
- Frequently requires prolonged standing, sitting or walking.
- Frequently requires bending, stretching, pushing, pulling and reaching.
- For any position-requiring medium to heavy rating, the employee must be able to demonstrate good body mechanics. This job requires a medium rating.