There are different types of bariatric surgery. Choosing the best surgery for you will depend on your weight loss goals and preferences.
For more information call 805-737-3382
Deciding on your surgical weight loss treatment is personal and varies from person to person. Before your surgery, we will help you learn about the surgical options available so that you can choose the best surgery for your needs.
Minimally invasive surgery is a technique your doctor will use to perform your weight loss surgery. Your surgeon will make small cuts and use a long, thin camera (called a scope) to make your stomach smaller. More than 95 percent of surgeries are minimally invasive. Having minimally invasive surgery has many benefits that make your surgery and recovery easier. Benefits include the following:
If you have problems with your incisions (where your surgeon cut into your skin during your surgery), these problems are usually minor.
If you would like to learn more about weight loss surgery treatments, you can attend a free seminar about bariatric surgery.
Deciding which weight-loss treatment is best for you will depend on your recovery and weight loss goals.
Gastric sleeve and gastric bypass are weight-loss surgeries that can help you lose extra weight and reduce your BMI. Here’s a closer look at the differences between these surgeries and how to contact Lompoc Valley Medical Center if you think you could benefit from having one of these procedures.
Gastric bypass surgery is also known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. This surgery is both restrictive and malabsorptive. It is restrictive because it reduces the amount of food you can eat in one sitting. It is malabsorptive because it prevents your body from absorbing too many calories.
In gastric bypass surgery, your surgeon staples part of your stomach. This creates a smaller stomach pouch and restricts the amount of food you can eat in one sitting.
Gastric sleeve surgery is also known as sleeve gastrectomy. This weight-loss surgery is a restrictive surgery because it reduces the amount of food you can eat during a meal. This helps you feel full sooner so you can lose extra weight.
About 80% of your stomach is cut away in gastric sleeve surgery. The remaining 20% of your stomach will be a vertical, banana-shaped pouch. Gastric sleeve surgery is permanent and non-reversible. This is because it involves the surgical removal of a portion of your stomach.
The main difference between these two surgeries is that the gastric sleeve is only restrictive. In comparison, gastric bypass is both restrictive and malabsorptive. If you choose gastric bypass, you must receive nutrition education and work with your doctor to create a healthy meal plan.
Your food portions will be smaller with gastric bypass, and your body will absorb fewer calories. You’ll need to make wise decisions about nutrition so your body can stay healthy. Most gastric bypass patients must take nutritional supplements for life. This ensures you get the right amount of vitamins, minerals, and other critical nutrients.
Otherwise, gastric sleeve and gastric bypass are very similar to one another. Both surgeries help you lose excess weight by restricting food portions.
Our prescription weight-loss program involves the use of medications that can help you lose excess weight. Some medications increase your metabolism to promote weight loss, while others may reduce your appetite.
Each type of weight-loss medication produces different effects. We may recommend one or more medications for you based on your medical history, health, and unique situation about the challenges you face regarding weight loss.
Ideal candidates for weight-loss surgery are at least 100 pounds overweight or have a BMI of 40 or greater. People with a BMI of 35 or greater are also eligible for surgery if they have at least one obesity-related health problem. Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and heart disease are examples of related health problems that may qualify you for surgery.
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) says that people unable to lose weight with diet and exercise may also be eligible for surgery.