Beginning at 5 pm on Tuesday, May 26, the City of Lompoc will be joining the rest of Santa Barbara County in mandating most community members to wear face coverings in public.
Per the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, County Health Officer Dr. Henning Ansorg, M.D. has issued Health Officer Order No. 2020-10. This order will be effective starting at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 26, and continuing until 5 p.m. on June 30, or until it is extended, rescinded, superseded, or amended in writing by the County of Santa Barbara Health Officer (“Health Officer”).
Significant portions of individuals with COVID-19 are asymptomatic and can transmit the virus to others through coughing, sneezing, or talking. Face coverings have the potential to slow the spread of the virus by limiting the spread of respiratory droplets.
The order’s intent temporarily requires the use of face coverings to slow the spread of COVID-19 to the maximum extent possible. Violation of the order could constitute a misdemeanor crime, punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, jail time, or both.
The new order stipulates the following:
- This order does not apply to infants or children under the age of 13.
- Masks with one-way valves cannot be used to comply with this order. These types of masks permit respiratory droplets to easily escape, which places others at risk.
- All individuals, unless an exception applies, must wear a face covering:
- When inside of or in line to enter any and all businesses.
- When using public transportation, a private car service, or a ride-sharing vehicle. Drivers must wear a face covering while driving or operating vehicles regardless of whether a member of the public is in the vehicle.
- All businesses must require employees, contractors, owners, and volunteers to wear a face covering at the workplace and at off-site work locations.
The full order is available at:
For general questions about stage 2 reopening and general COVID-19 information, county residents may call the Santa Barbara County Call Center at (833) 688-5551.
Please visit Santa Barbara County’s coronavirus web page for other COVID-19 resources and updates at https://publichealthsbc.org/.
In addition, The City of Lompoc has established a COVID-19 Local Information and Resources page, available at www.cityoflompoc.com, as well as a COVID-19 information phone line, available from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, at: (805) 875-8071.