Signs and Symptoms of the Flu
The "Flu" is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the influenza viruses. It can cause anywhere from mild to severe illness, so severe that at times it can lead to death. The flu usually comes on rather quickly. It's important to note that the flu is different from a cold. Cold symptoms, while very similar to symptoms of the flu, are usually milder and generally do not result in serious health problems.
People who have the flu can feel some or all of these symptoms:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
* It's important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.
What are the emergency warning signs of flu sickness?
- Fast breathing or trouble breathing
- Bluish skin color
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Not waking up or not interacting
- Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
- Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
- Fever with a rash
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Flu-like symptoms that improve but then return with fever and worse cough
Health & Wellness
Contact Us Anytime
Lompoc Valley Medical Center
1515 E Ocean Ave, Lompoc, CA 93436
Phone: (805) 737-3300
Quality Healthcare, Close to Home
Lompoc Valley Medical Center is a California Healthcare District committed to providing safe, high quality, compassionate and patient-centered healthcare services to our community.