Preparing for Your Hospital Stay
We want your visit to be as easy and as comfortable as possible. Use the following resources to prepare for your visit. If you have any questions, your physician’s office will be happy to assist you.
What Should I Bring?
For Your Hospital Stay:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing; be sure to dress warmly for the trip home, which will decrease your risk of surgical site infection.
- Do not wear make-up or lipstick.
- Leave all jewelry at home.
- For your safety, rings, jewelry and body piercings must be removed prior to surgery. If you cannot remove your rings, a jeweler can, and he should be able to size the ring to fit you properly.
- Bring crutches, walker or cane if you will be needing them.
Overnight patients may want to bring their own toilet articles (hairbrush, comb, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste), a book or magazine, and personal items such as contact lenses, eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures and prostheses.
Please leave money, credit cards, jewelry and valuables at home.
Should I Bring Medications?
Please bring a list of your current medications with you. We request that you only bring your inhaler and eye drops (if you are spending the night) with you. Your physician may prescribe medication for you to take home after surgery. If you would like, you may have them filled at LVMC pharmacy when you are discharged.
Sometimes medical situations arise that prevent people from communicating their wishes about medical intervention and/or life-prolonging care. You can communicate your decisions in written documents called Advance Directives, which enable your chosen decision-maker to speak for you if you are ever unable to express your medical wishes. This advanced planning reduces uncertainty about how you want to be cared for at the end of life.
If you have an Advance Directive, please bring copies when you come to the hospital. If you would like to establish an Advanced Directive, please let us know upon your arrival.
For your privacy, you may choose to NOT be listed in our hospital patient directory.
If you choose to be in the patient directory:
- Under HIPAA, if a person inquires about you by your name, hospital staff may release your location.
- No other information may be released without your written consent.
If you choose not to be in the patient directory:
- Your name will not appear in the patient information system.
- Anyone who comes to the hospital or calls for you will not be told you are a patient.
- Flowers and mail will be returned to the sender.
- You should notify family and friends of your room number if you would like them to visit you; they will not be able to get that information at the Information Desk.
Lompoc, CA 93436
LVMC Patient Portal
Securely access your LVMC medical records online with our myHealth Patient Portal. Please contact our medical records department if you do not yet have a patient portal account.