This healthy option for a popular meal or snack makes four servings. Take fresh pico de gallo (also called salsa Fresca), combine with cooked chicken, vegetables and cheese to make this healthy baked, not fried, meal.
- 1 ½ cups or more of Pico de Gallo (chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, and lime juice)
- ½ cup cooked, finely chopped chicken
- ½ cup corn (no salt added, canned or thawed frozen)
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (shredded, reduced-fat, or Monterey jack or queso fresco)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 425°F. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup Pico de Gallo, chicken, corn, green onion, bell pepper, and cheese.
- Soften tortillas on the stovetop or in the microwave oven, and spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling onto the center of each tortilla. Roll up tightly and secure each with a toothpick.
- Place rolled tortillas seam side down on a baking sheet and brush each lightly with oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
- Place 3 taquitos on each plate and serve with the remaining Pico de Gallo.
Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture/California Department of Public Health, Network for a Healthy California