After a mandated suspension of elective surgeries due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Lompoc Valley Medical Center will begin performing a limited number of elective (essential but not emergent) surgeries and procedures starting this week.
The decision is consistent with guidance from the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department and other regulatory entities.
A limited number of such surgeries and procedures will begin on Thursday, May 7, 2020, with a reduced schedule for endoscopic procedures resuming May 11.
Based on protocol established by the LVMC Medical Staff, three days prior to a scheduled surgery or procedure, patients will undergo a COVID-19 test, in conjunction with other pre-operative testing as requested by the surgeon. The patient will be informed of the protocol for the test during the pre-operative interview with the pre-admission nurse.
Once the test is administered, LVMC requests patients self-isolate until the day and time of surgery.
If the test result is positive, the surgery will be postponed.
At LVMC, enhanced infection prevention protocols will be in place for the safety of patients, staff, and physicians. Patients coming to LVMC for scheduled surgeries or procedures must wear cloth face coverings or surgical masks.
On the day of the scheduled surgery or procedure, the patient will:
- Arrive at the predetermined time to the designated hospital entrance provided during pre-admission consultation.
- Surgery staff will be on hand to notify the registration staff of their arrival.
- The patient will be screened for any new symptoms, including:
- The temperature of 100F degrees or greater;
- fever or chills within the previous 48 hours;
- new shortness of breath;
- new sore throat or cough and/or new gastrointestinal symptoms. If necessary, a surgeon will reassess the patient prior to the procedure.
Visitors are still prohibited from entering LVMC, except in a few select circumstances. Upon discharge following a procedure, patients may be picked up by a waiting vehicle at a designated entrance.
LVMC is also now allowing scheduling of specific diagnostic radiology procedures that were previously being deferred, such as screening mammograms, at the acute hospital.
LVMC is also encouraging the use of our Emergency Department for patients with immediate needs. Enhanced infection prevention and patient protection protocols are being enforced.