Healthy Recipe: Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili
This is an easy, one-pot meal that will fill up your family and keep them eating healthy foods during the winter months.
- Serves: 6 people
- Time to prepare: 20 mins.
- Time to cook: 40 mins.
- 1 pound Ground turkey
- 3 each Sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1” cubes
- 4 each Carrot peeled, cut into 1/4” pieces
- 6 each Celery, cut into 1/4” pieces
- 1 each Onion, medium size, ½” pieces
- 1 each Bell pepper (any color) cut into ½” pieces
- 2 cans Chopped or diced tomatoes, 15 – 17oz can/box
- 2 cans Beans (chili, pinto, black) rinsed under water
- 1 box Chicken stock, 32oz
- 1 tbs. Chili powder
- 2 tsp. Granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin, ground
- 2 tsp. Coriander, ground
- To taste, Salt & pepper
In a large soup pot, add a little oil, about 2 Tbs. and cook ground turkey over medium-high heat until completely cooked. Add a pinch of salt & pepper to the turkey while it is cooking. Cooked turkey until slightly browned and there is no pink showing.
To the pot, add the onions & bell peppers, cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the dry seasonings to the turkey/onion mixture and stir to well to mix in.
Next add ALL the remaining ingredients: sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, beans, stock. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook at a medium simmer for about 30 – 40 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
Be sure to taste as you go, add more seasonings you feel it needs. Don’t hesitate to experiment with the seasonings either.
Optional toppings for the chili:
- Sour cream
- Green Onion