Tips for Caregivers
How to Stay Happy and Healthy
As a caregiver, your job is very important. It is equally important to take steps to ensure you are at the peak of your health, so that you will be in the best shape to care for another person. If you find that you are in need of support, please reach out to the Family Caregiver Support Network for resources and referrals.
- Learn as much as you can about your loved one’s illness or disability
- Make a list of your questions before going to a doctor’s appointment
- Consider the types of tasks that will need to be done and determine if you will need help to complete these tasks
Find People in Your Same Situation
- Join a support group
- Learn from others who have faced the same struggles
- Reach out to family and friends to let them know you may need support
Know Your Limits
- Consider how much time and energy is realistic for you to give
- Set defined limits and know when it is time to say, “no” and when it is time to ask for help
- Verbalize your limits to loved ones, medical professionals, friends and coworkers
Accept Your Feelings
- Be kind to yourself and understand that feelings of anger, sadness, resentment, guilt, helplessness, and fear are things each of us feels when caring for another person
- Feeling the above doesn’t mean that you don’t love your family member, but rather that you are human
Encourage Independence for Yourself and Your Loved One
- Caregiving means encouraging your loved one to remain as independent as possible/li>
- Look into available technologies, such as Health Monitoring systems, Medication Reminder/Dispensing Systems, Personal Emergency Response Systems, etc. *LVMC does not endorse specific products./li>
- Consider outside support/relief from other family members, friends or a professional agency to provide an opportunity for respite for you
Considering a Professional Care Agency?
- Home Care Agencies offer a variety of services including: Transport, Exercise, Medication Reminders, Hygiene Assistance, Meal Planning and Preparation, Grocery Shopping and Errands, Light housekeeping and Laundry, Pet Care and much more
- Make a list of activities you expect the caregiver to perform
- When interviewing a Care Agency, provide personality preferences of your loved one for choosing of a caregiver, such as whether they prefer a male or female, smoker or non, talkative or not, someone who is comfortable with pets, etc.
- When hiring professional help, remember that agencies are competing for your business and may offer a special rate to win your business. Get clear and detailed information about the agency’s long-term rates and charges prior to signing up for service
Health & Wellness
Contact Us Anytime
Lompoc Valley Medical Center
1515 E Ocean Ave, Lompoc, CA 93436
Phone: (805) 737-3300
Quality Healthcare, Close to Home
Lompoc Valley Medical Center is a California Healthcare District committed to providing safe, high quality, compassionate and patient-centered healthcare services to our community.