Facts about Influenza
It's flu season again and your friends at the Lompoc Valley Medical Center have recommended a few simply things that you can do to protect yourself and others from getting sick.
- Wash your hands often.
- Cough and/or sneeze into your sleeve.
- Keep your hands out of your mouth, eyes and nose.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Use disinfectant cleaner to clean commonly used surfaces in your home.
- Be sure to get the seasonal flu shot each year.
And if you are already sick, stay home from work, school and avoid social gatherings. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids and wash your hands frequently. The regular seasonal flu and can sometimes be mistaken for the H1N1 flu as they have similar symptoms, which include:
- Fever, plus one of the following.
- Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Chills and fatigue
- In some cases vomiting and diarrhea.
Again, if you are sick with the flu, stay home from work, school and avoid social gatherings. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids and wash your hands frequently. In extreme cases, other more serious symptoms may surface. If you encounter any of the emergency signs contact your doctor, go the the emergency room, or call 911. The emergency signs include:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
- Pain or pressure in chest or abdomen.
- Sudden dizziness.
- Severe or persistent vomiting.
Once more, to protect yourself and others from the spread of the flu make sure to wash your hands often, avoid touching your mouth, nose, or ears and cough and sneeze into your sleeve and not into the open air.
Together we can keep our community healthy.
Contact Us Anytime
Lompoc Valley Medical Center
1515 E Ocean Ave, Lompoc, CA 93436
Phone: (805) 737-3300
Quality Healthcare, Close to Home
Lompoc Valley Medical Center is a California Healthcare District committed to providing safe, high quality, compassionate and patient-centered healthcare services to our community.